Monday, December 29, 2008

For those of you that know me well...and maybe for those of you who don't...you'll know when it comes to Christmas I have always been, quite frankly, a spoiled brat!

Growing up my mom always went to great lengths to have lots of presents under the tree & we always got that one thing we were dying for. You know...the Baby Shivers doll, which I just tried to google, but couldn't find! What??? Am I that old? Do any of you remember that doll? I totally remember getting that one year, as did my next-door-neighbor. Anyway, it went from Baby Shivers to Easy Bake Oven, to Rollerblades, to overalls & jean jackets, to Doc Martens, stereos & cameras. On the list went & it was always neatly & perfectly wrapped waiting under the tree for me & my siblings.

Mind you, this wasn't always easy financially I'm sure, but being the youngest for quite some time I saw more of the fruit of my parent's labor as opposed to the labor. So in comparison to my oldest brother, I was completely spoiled, and I would say the same about Kevin...he makes out like a bandit every year & every year my mom is "cutting back." Yeah right.

Anyway, fast forward a couple years & here I am married & with a kid of my own & Scot & I have had to make our own rules {read budgets} & traditions...but really I still want the Christmas of Christmases past. The one with the fire burning in the fireplace, the Christmas music playing, the video camera rolling...even though it never seemed to work properly on Christmas & of course the perfect gift.

I must admit, while Scot has put forth valiant effort to fill my mom's shoes they are big shoes to fill & frankly, he still isn't up to snuff! But this year I must give credit where credit is due. With all the stress of closing on a new house the week of Christmas, a new baby on the way & a new car purchase becoming more necessary in the near future Scot was about to his breaking point...and told me not to get him anything for Christmas. As in aren't the blinds, rugs, paint, landscaping & oh yeah...a NEW HOUSE enough? I on the other hand, insisted there still needed to be gifts under the tree.

So while my dear husband, who can't bear to see a penny wasted, is forgoing his Christmas...literally his exact words to me were, "The best present you could give me is leaving that money in our bank account." I told him to feel free to splurge on my behalf & here's what I'd like. {go ahead...picture that in your head & laugh...it was quite comical}

So, what might you ask found its way underneath the Christmas tree? I will only tell you of 2 items...because the rest were maternity clothes & the like. The first was a gift card for a pedicure. Perfecto! A "luxury" that he can't stand me spending good, hard-earned money on when I could do it myself...a true sacrifice on his part. The next, a jewelry box. This one definitely surprised me. He saved it until last. I quickly removed the ribbon thinking to myself..."When I said splurge I didn't really mean SPLURGE!" Really those were my exact thoughts. I opened the box...a little tentatively & looked to see what was inside. Do you know what I found?
A key to our new house along with a husband that has a sense of humor putting his spoiled brat wife in her place. That is what I found. I have to admit it was a job well done & quite funny. And let's be honest...a new house is more than enough, but next time I'll make sure we close in say...August...so it can't count for my birthday, Mother's Day, Anniversary, Valentines or Christmas!

6 comments:

Amberly said...

clever clever man! nice job, scot!!

Sally said...

Hilarious! I love your blog...you're so funny. I go absolutely crazy at Christmas so I totally know what you mean about "that Christmas" .

Lynsey said...

Poor Scot he has big shoes to fill:)
Thats pretty funny about the ring:)

Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Natalie said...

Scot is EXACTLY like Anthony. That is hilarious. Due to some purchases put on the credit card this Christmas (which is a "no-no") we are now suppose to live in poverty until paid off (or so Anthony thinks).

I have been entertaining his sister and fam and was SO exhausted from cooking and preparing and cleaning....that when Anth came home from work the other night, I said.."I'm done. I'm not cooking dinner tonight. Take me out, PLEASE." Oh, the answer was an absolute NO and he gladly offered to make dinner instead. And he did and it was good...but I could tell he was pinching those pennies the whole time. In fact, I joked and told him to relax a bit...he's squeezing to hard! He's gonna get a cramp!

But thank goodness for our financially wise men. I know we are GREATLY blessed due to Anth's financial decisions. And you will be too for Scot's.

Debbie said...

Ohhhh that sounds just like Scot! Good joke...and money saved!

Emily said...

That is hilarious! sounds just like Kimball, every year...he says the best gift you can give me is to stay out of debt and give me no gift at all! I want nothing. So this year he basically got nothing. And if you do give him a thing he takes it back. it always makes me feel bad but I guess i have to get over it.