Friday, April 6, 2007

Check out that Thumb!


Oh what a glorious day! This picture & sentiment requires some background...if you want it, keep reading, if not...stop here.

For those of you who happen to know me as "Jarvis" - which is another story in & of itself - you will also know that I was a DEDICATED thumb sucker as a baby/toddler/child...not giving it up until the seasoned age of 8...I told you I was dedicated. Despite several attempts, my parents just could not convince me to give it up & I was happy with my little wrinkly thumb.

Since then I have endured years of relentless teasing, which isn't all that surprising, from my siblings which has been picked up by Scot as well...why would I suck my thumb so long? On and on it goes. While I do NOT endorse thumb sucking until 8 years of age...I do understand the soothing qualities of a good finger or two. Zack has several cousins that enjoy the double variety as opposed to the single. Anyway...on with the story...Scot was so appalled at my thumb sucking ways (and the orthodontic bill that followed) that his famous last words were: "No child of mine will suck his fingers. Period." -- This was obviously coming from someone who prior to now had had very little experience with babies...he was also opposed to pacifiers and blankies...sigh.

Prior to this week, Zack was more of a stick-the-whole-fist-in-my-mouth kind of sucker...so when I checked on him during an afternoon nap and saw this...I about died...with delight. Could life get any funnier? I think not. For the record, there has been no encouragement from me on this...I definitely don't want to be taking a similar picture at his baptism...at that point the thumb will probably be accompanied by a black eye from playground beatings. So I guess my famous last words will be...No child of mine will still be sucking his fingers once school starts, but for now it is dang cute.

PS - Are you digging the bed head??? I mean seriously...whose kid has this much hair?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Cutest story ever. Prepare your husband for a life of humility with children and the o so famous "my kids will never do that" statement.

Brooke and Dustin Jackson said...

Oh Amy, he is so precious! I love his hair.. and sadly I think I have you beat on the thumb sucking.. I WAS 12 WHEN I STOPPED!! Now that my friend is just down right awful.. But I'm with you.. it's soo cute when they are small!!
XOXO

Amberly said...

that pic is so precious. I've had a few humility-envoking moments myself, saying that no child of mine will ever... but then they do and it's cute because it's my kid! for some reason, your own kid can get away with so much more than that snotty-nosed neighbor kid. and the hair, honestly, do you even have that much hair?!

Cam and Afton said...

OK seriously. Its sad when my daughter who is 6 months barely has enough hair to cover her head.....wait it doesnt even cover it. You can still see through to he scalp. Poor thing.