Monday, March 30, 2009

Domestic Diva


Those are the two words I would use to describe my latest efforts.

My nesting instincts have kicked into full gear & they have taken the form of food storage. Boring? Yes. Lame? Probably. Necessary? Most definitely.

Before we sold our old house...um, 2 years ago...I was pretty good at this stuff & had a decent stash. Upon selling our house & moving everything into storage, etc. we either ate a lot of it, gave it away or it disappeared into nothingness. So now I feel like I am back at square one. Which is frankly kind of annoying.

My first goal is to tackle our 90-day supply. I've worked on getting a menu finalized & have started adding those items to my grocery lists.

This last week I found a super good deal on chicken breast & since many of my meals require it I bought lots & decided to can it.

Mind you...I've never canned one dang thing in my entire life. Let alone meat. It kind of grosses me out. But while I was living with my mom, she learned how to can chicken & while it does indeed look like a science experiment in a jar, it is in fact, DELICIOUS! So much better than the stuff you get at Costco that is packaged like tuna...seriously it is so good...so moist, so tender.

My mom had told me it was SO easy to can, etc, etc, so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I borrowed my sister's pressure cooker, called my mom & got busy.

This is what Friday's nap time produced:
and in case you couldn't tell...I felt like a rock star when I finished my first batch & they had all sealed & were cooked. My first canning endeavor: a success.

And by the way...I will tell you it is SO easy to can chicken. You don't have to cook the chicken first or anything. Plop it in the jars, throw it in the pressure cooker & voila! You're done.

8 comments:

Dallas and Krista said...

Can I borrow that pressure cooker?? For real... I really need to follow in your footsteps!

Ashlee said...

What is in the jars? It looks like ice? And I want a full picture of the menu on top of the preparedness book! And...then I will probably want the recipes too! I am being serious! :)

Ashlee said...

PS...You are definitely a Dynamite Domestic Diva. I am so proud of you!!!

Shawn and Krystal said...

I've been on a food storage kick too lately but haven't done anything about it. It's all a bit overwhelming to me. So canning chicken..do you can it raw? and How long is it good for?

Arian said...

That is awesome. Gotta love those sales on chicken! You are sooo in the nesting stage. :)

tko said...

Wow Amy! I am so impressed! You are a true pioneer Woman!

Debbie said...

Impressive Amy....store alot so I won't starve when the time comes that I am needy! I will depend on you! Hmmmmm that's a good idea I might say!

Teagan said...

I need your help in this!