Sunday, March 8, 2009

Where is Thumbkin?


Zack is a thumb sucker. And I admit there is a part of me that loves this bad habit of his. It is so helpful on long flights. It eases him to sleep nightly. It soothes him after a fall. He never loses it & it is always handy.

This weekend found Zack spending a lot of time on the trampoline. After he got off Scot & I noticed a little "burn" on his thumb from being rubbed on the trampoline mat. We didn't think too much of it, but as he was getting comfy to watch a movie... PB chair? check. blanket? check. doggie? check. thumb? umm...he was searching. Finger after finger he put into his mouth trying to find a suitable replacement only to realize there wasn't one. Trust me...I know. I was a dedicated thumb sucker myself. I tried to step in & help...giving him his other thumb, only to know myself that that one surely won't do. It has not been broken in like the regular.

So while this wasn't a project {battle} I was planning on taking on prior to the new baby coming. It is here & he can't suck his beloved thumb anymore. I didn't think it would be too bad once he got to sleep, but last night he was up from 2 am - 4 am. ugh. I've been trying to stockpile my sleep before the baby comes!

I have to say it makes me a little sad. I feel bad for the little guy and it is just one more milestone that marks he is in fact growing up. The potty, the big boy bed...the list goes on.

But now that we've begun paying the price, we're going to stick to it...band-aids, creams or contrapments...whatever we have to do once his burn is healed to keep that thumb out. I'm just hoping his sleep habits get back to normal before this babe makes her entrance!

Sorry my little scooby.

2 comments:

Julie said...

One word: Bribes.

Trevor said...

We tried everything...bribes, punishment, ointments from the pharmacy, etc. The only thing that worked: tabasco sauce applied with a tiny water-color paintbrush. Worked like a charm, never sucked again.