
My dad has never been known for his photogenic qualities, and it was apparent as I was going through my pictures. This was the only one I could find that was just me & him! We'll have to remedy that in the future. I was tempted to post some pictures of the whole fam from the good ol' days, until I realized that I looked more embarrassing than anyone else. No need to glorify those 'ugly duckling' days!
While my dad hasn't been known for being photogenic he has been known for his humor...especially when it comes to wedding dinner roasts! I remember before mine, he cautioned me that there were going to be a few pokes in my direction & maybe some blood, but hopefully I'd remember it was in good fun. Let's just say it was a bit bloody. And like the carnage of a car wreck, sometimes you just can't bear to watch. I literally had my head in my napkin under the table through portions...I knew I had provided them plenty of ammo, but MAN they dug up some good stuff.
My dad is also known for his kindness & soft-spoken voice. Mind you, there were times I pushed him over the edge to shouting...but for the most part he'd prod me along in a soft voice, even when I am sure he wanted to yell & scream. On one occasion, I put a big, nice dent in his brand new car...this happened while I was waving to a friend, with the radio blaring & thinking I looked so cute in my dad's new car...ugh...I did not want to go home. I encountered my mom first & she might have had a shout or two in my direction...and then she simply said, "Go talk to your dad." I was bummed that she wasn't going to accompany me. When I told my dad, all he did was look over and say, "Well, I guess next time you'll know to be more careful." That was it?!? Unfortunately, as much as I tried to be careful...I was the most accident prone, expensive child. To name a few: Almost sank our waverunners & let water get onto the engine...they sat for the winter & by the next summer, they engines had to be rebuilt. Bumper to bumper collision...and not with an old beater...with a Mercedes! Oops! Luckily, for me, my dad didn't beat me! He just explained what I should do next time. I have always been very grateful that he allowed me to make some mistakes without having to pay ALL the consequences. It allowed me the opportunity to not be afraid to learn through experience, because I knew that he'd always be there to help. I think my relationship with my dad personifies my relationship with our Savior. He too, allows us to make mistakes,without having to pay ALL the consequences and I am eternally grateful for a dad that understood that principle and put it into action in our relationship.
1 comment:
amy--- truely beautiful! both the picture and the sentiment. i adore your dad as well. he is a dad to so many of us. :)
Post a Comment