Monday, August 11, 2008

A Few Paninis For You

If you're like I used to be you dread making yourself lunch. You want something delicious but nothing that requires cooking or much effort so...you end up eating PB&J with your kiddos & stealing a few grapes & Doritos off their plate to top it off. Maybe you go so far as to have a drink box with them as well! I always drew the line there. I am/was always willing to at least pour myself a refreshing Diet Coke (I'm in the process of telling myself that I'm giving up DC, but we'll get to that later).

I've finally found a reasonable solution to what I like to refer to as the lunch time blues. It is the panini. And no, I'm not certain that is how it is spelled. If you don't have a panini grill, please stop what you are doing & go to Target & get one. Seriously, they are the best & worth every penny! Everyday I make myself a version of one of the following paninis & am satisfied. If Zack would get a clue & realize how yummy they are he could have one too, but until then he's sticking to he chicken nuggets (oh joy).

Sweet & Simple:
This ones easy & requires very little ingredients -- great for when you haven't been to the store!

Sourdough Bread
Cream Cheese
Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
BBQ sauce
Provolone Cheese

Stack it up in that order, put a piece of sourdough bread on top, brush with olive oil (or use the fantastic PAM olive oil SPRAY!) Grill. Enjoy.

Please note: When making this one you MUST use Sweet Baby Ray's original barbecue sauce. It is the BEST bbq sauce -- sweet & tangy without any smoky flavor. In fact, I think it is the only bbq sauce anyone should ever use. I find myself trying to think of new places I can use it I like it so much. Even if you don't do the panini, please go buy yourself some of this & thank me later, or my mom, as she is the one that bought it first...or was it Lindsey? I think there is debate in the family as to who started buying...ho hum...you can just thank me & I'll pass it along. haha.


My Specialty:
Again, stack in this order, then grill

Sourdough bread
cream cheese
oven roasted turkey breast
spinach leaves
balsamic vinegar (just pour some over the spinach, but not so much it makes the sandwich mushy)
oregano (just sprinkle as much as you want)
salt
pepper
provolone cheese
top with sourdough bread

Kid Friendly:
Sourdough Bread
Parmesan Cheese
Asiago Cheese
Spinach Leaves
Top with sourdough bread

Scot has even drummed up a few of his own panini recipes & I hear they are quite tasty. I think his famous one goes something like this:
sourdough bread
cream cheese
oven roasted turkey breast
avocado
sprouts
maybe some salt & pepper
provolone cheese
topped with another slice of sourdough bread with cream cheese spread on it.

6 comments:

Scot said...

No salt & pepper and NO provolone cheese! only cream cheese please....and it's not my original sandwhich, plenty of places have it on the menu...thanks!

Amberly said...

geez, chill out scot! these look delish, thanks for giving me some new ideas!

Brooke and Dustin Jackson said...

yumm... those sound delicious.

i have some major lunch time ruts, and these sound like the perfect fix.

i always need an excuse for a targ run anyway. dust will thank you later for the added incentive :)

we haven't seen your cute family in ages. when are you coming to UT again?? or better question... why haven't WE come to the boyer resort??
hmmm... my bags are packed.
for real.. let's plan something!

Heidi said...

Only in the Boyer household would you find those ingredients on hand, or maybe Rachel Ray's! I don't keep sourdough bread, oven roasted turkey breast or provolone around. That requires a grocery run. But it sounds good!

Natalie said...

yummo! I have to agree with heidi....I never have those ingredients around. We're not big sandwich eaters in our house. Anth doesn't like too much bread, and I hate MAKING sandwiches. I know I know, I'm so picky. I always struggle with my lunches. I really WANT the yummy foods, but never want to put my time into it. I save my energy for dinner! But anytime you want to make me a panini...I'll gladly accept! They sound scrumptious!

Amy said...

We used to not have the ingredients on hand either...until I realized what a treat a panini was for lunch! Now they are definitely always on hand!