Thursday, May 28, 2009

On Being Carried.

My dad has often said, "You can either be carried, or do the extra carrying."

During different seasons of life we all shift from being carried, to holding someone's extra load. I typically find it easier to carry the extra load and don't particularly like being carried. I suppose that is my mother in me...we aren't the best at accepting others offers of help.

But over the last 4 weeks I have often times felt myself being carried...whether by earthly angels or those on the other side. It has been a sweet experience for me to give up my will to the Lord's as I adjust to life with two & juggle the sleepless nights of a newborn.

Admittedly, the first week was brutal and the words, "I'm never doing this again," may have escaped my mouth on several occasions. But...there is always a but, yesterday morning caught me thinking, "man...this whole thing hasn't been so bad...in fact, I think I'm enjoying this." I quickly caught myself already forgetting all the pain & laughed at myself & just how quickly we forget.

One thing I don't want to forget is that it is okay to be carried. It is okay to accept the help of others...it is good for the one being helped & the one doing the helping.

4 comments:

Kara Pothier said...

Just curious if you found a car yet?

Natalie said...

So true. It's always hard for us control freaks to accept help. I too have caught myself saying, 'one more wouldn't be so bad. Heck, throw in twins and I'll be the mother of the year!' j/k

Sandi said...

You hit the nail on the head. Good reminder.

Debbie said...

Sweet thoughts...keep up the positive attitude. I need to see my kiddos!