Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Road Trip!

Sunday brought us Stake Conference & a road trip to Quartzite. Yes, Quartzite. If you are planning on going you'd better hurry because come another month & it will be desolate! Quartzite is somewhere in the desert off I-10 on your way to Cali. Basically the middle of nowhere, but in the winter time it is Snow Bird Paradise. There are RV's stretching out for miles & on a Saturday I am sure you could catch a great swap meet buzzing with old folk.
My dad's parents have been going to Quartzite for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, I think I can count the times I have been there on one hand. It was my goal this year to get me, Scot & Zack out there for a visit. I was thrilled when I heard my parent's had similar aspirations...the more the merrier on this occasion. Kevin was happy for the extra company as well. He was not looking forward to 4 hours (there & back) in the car with "JUST" my parents (as he likes to say) and then a visit with with grandparents on top of it. 14 year olds...whatever.

Anyway, it was a blast. Between my dad's hilarious comments & Scot's laugh half the fun was the car ride! We started with a stop at the Tanner's. Maury had just whipped up a batch of his famous oatmeal chocolate chip cookies & we decided we needed some! Thank heavens Maury is always willing to share. He gave us a whole bag & while we laughed at how many there were...they were all gone by the time we got home. We're just a bunch of fatties I suppose! haha.
Zack was a trooper and slept 1/2 the way both directions...phew. After that he enjoyed treats & Baby Einstein on my laptop. Thank heavens for technology! We couldn't make it ALL the way to Quartzite without a potty break...mind you it is only 2.5 hours, but my dad couldn't quite muster it. To his dismay, the pit stop really put a damper on his time. First of all, it was so windy I thought my head was going to roll! Plus, I got stuck in the icky bathroom stall. Yes, STUCK! I was laughing so hard at myself I didn't have time to panic & fortunately, I did NOT have to crawl out on the even ickier floor. EW! Meanwhile, Kev loaded up on snacks from the vending machine (as if we didn't have enough) and Scot battled Zack wondering where the heck I was.
Now about this picture...notice my dad? Hilarious. We had to take the token rest stop picture and all huddled up right in front of my dad's window. Mind you, we did not think to ask him to be in the photo...just us. So he thought it would be funny to roll down the window & just stick his head out. It was funny...because when he had the window down he accidently hit the button AGAIN, thus shutting his head in the window. Classic Max.
Once we finally arrived we had to spend most of our time inside because it was sooo windy. We did manage a quick walk though & even grandpa came...helping to push Zack in his stroller. He can't hear much or do much these days but he sure was happy to see us all! I'm glad we got to visit him. My grandma on the other hand is still sharp as a tac! She had all sorts of toys for Z and of course got rip roaring game of Skip Bo going. You'd best play your best game with grandma...no silly errors or she'll let you know! For the record, we played teams...old vs young & of course Kev-Dawg and I won...suckas!
It was a great trip & I think we'll have to do it again next year!

4 comments:

The Malone's said...

Quartsite is one of those places that you stop and go pee at when you head out to Cali. But what a fun place, especially when you have family. I love the picture of you and your grandpa pushing the stroller.

Amberly said...

I bet your grandparents were thrilled to have visitors, especially fun ones like you and little Z. You never know when opportunities like that won't be around anymore, I'm glad you took advantage of this one!

Ali said...

Hilarous!

Karen said...

How fun, I am glad you got to go see you grandparents, I wish I would have done that more. I love the pictures.