Friday, August 8, 2008

Flashback Friday - Scrapbooking

I have been working quite a bit the last couple of weeks on new Christmas card designs for 2008. Upon beginning this process I opened up last year's folder. eek! My tastes have changed quite a bit in the last year! There wasn't one design that I thought, "oh yeah, that was super cute!" Not even the card I did for myself! hah! The only card I still even like from last year was the card I did for my brother's family -- by far the cutest of the year. We printed it on a pearlized cardstock, so it had a matted shimmer to it. It worked perfect with the blues...


























Anyway, it got me to thinking...Is this card thing going to be like scrapbooking where you look back at your old work & think, "what was I thinking???" And then you hide it away, locking the memories up because the presentation is so bad?

I tried to convince myself that that couldn't be. My scrapbooks couldn't already be out dated & ugly. Then a few pages came to mind...remembered not for the memory, but the horror that someone may see that layout, or lack thereof more likely. Finally, I dug out my scrapbooks to see if I was imagining their sad state or if it was indeed as bad as I was thinking.

Upon my research I found that it was worse. Much worse than I remembered. Pictures cut into an oblivion. Stickers smacked everywhere & scribbled out writing. oh dear. yes. Now I remember why I don't scrapbook.

I am embarrassed to even post these, but embarrassment hasn't stopped me before, so why now? To give myself a smidgen of credit I started scrapbooking when I was the ripe old age of 12. Think of those little girls in your ward just entering Beehives...that is when these were created. Back in the days where Crayola markers & stickers were top of the line supplies. oh man, I was lame.

Anyway...eat your heart out baby!
I don't know what is worse the layout or my glasses & hair do. Just to save face a bit. I did progress to pages more of this nature. I think this was one of the last pages I ever did.

5 comments:

Ali said...

For a second there I thought I was looking at my own scrapbook! My story is much the same, started at 12 and thought the more trimming and stickers I could get on a page, the better. Now I am afraid of looking at it too...and even more, I'm mad I cut and basically ruined my pictures of my childhood! Any way to repair the damage??

Natalie said...

So funny...so true! My scrapbooks are much the same...I just don't let it bug me because I KNOW everyone else has a book just like mine! It's for the kids right! If our goal is to be cool and always look the coolest...we're heading no where fast! You did a great job journaling your life..be proud, well proud of the memories, not the decorating. "In style" decorating is NEVER a constant...always changing. Love the flashback!

Sally said...

Haha...too funny...I always want to go back and redo them, but its part of the fun of looking at them:) Good luck in our game...I won't be there!

Julie said...

Where's "Slammin' and Jammin'"?

Linda said...

Amy I am always so entertained by your blog!! You are darling. If you think yours are bad well I about croacked when I looked at mine. What to do? Everything becomes outdated so fast. I have learned one thing ...and that is to throw away the scissors and quit cutting the pictures!